Conveniently located in Myrtleford, Ray's is your one-stop-shop for your trip up to Falls Creek, Hotham and Mt Buffalo. Hire or buy snow chains, rent skis or snowboards and snow clothing, grab all your snow gear, then get help with chain fitting. You can also pick up your lift pass so you can hit the slopes as soon as you arrive on the mountain.
All vehicles travelling The Great Alpine Road or Bogong High Plains Road must carry diamond pattern snow chains at all times during the VicRoads declared snow season and must be fitted where directed. Get your car fitted at Ray's before beginning your climb up to the resort.
Hire skis or snowbaords for two or more adults and receive FREE snow chain hire (only valid for in-store purchases)!
Epic Australia Pass holders receive 20% of equipment rentals when purchased online and in advance, exclusive to Ray's Ski Shop.
Chain Fitting Check List
- Fit chains to driving wheels only.
- Always test fit chains before a trip.
- Fit at fitting bays on level ground.
- If chains fall off or loosen when a vehicle is in motion stop and check brake lines for damage, before re-tensioning.
- Carry a torch, plastic garbage bag (or tarp) and gloves to make fitting easier.
- Use correct fitting diamond pattern chains.
- Tyres must be in good condition with minimal wear.
- Chains alter your car's handling, take time to readjust your driving and take care!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can chains be fitted to all cars?
Chains can only be fit if there is enough clearance between the tyre and the rest of the car. If concerned about clearance, we recommend running your hand between the back tyre and the vehicle. If you cannot fit your full hand, or you hit a bolt at any point, you may not be able to fit chains to your vehicle. If chains cannot be fit to your vehicle, we suggest finding alternative transport for your snow trip.
What size chains do I need?
Always fit chains as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer in the owner’s manual. The owner’s manual of your vehicle will direct you on whether chains can be fit to your vehicle, what wheels to fit chains to (front or rear) and if chains can be fit only with a certain tyre size.